Saturday, November 19, 2011

19 Nov

It snowed last night...actually more snow south than to the north.  I found one of the migratory bird refuges up near Brigham City.  The lady at the welcome center was odd...kept telling me i wouldn't see much, especially since it was hunting season and that I should just stay for the movie.  okay, so most birds have come through already, but you shouldn't discourage someone from visiting.

Sorry for being image heavy again, but I had a 36 mile car trip through the refuge...

I am pretty sure this one is a male Northern Harrier:


Lots of Clark's Grebes, possible some Northern Grebes as well.  In addition, American Coots, and all sorts of ducks.  I even saw a cormorant (not usual at this time of the year), as well as an avocet (or was he a stilt, too far away and backlight to tell)...




Okay, this hawk has me stumped again...he was huge.  My thought is a Goshawk or a Rough-legged.



Being a Miami Hurricane, I have only ever thought of the Ibis being a Southeastern bird...boy am I wrong...white faced are here!


landscapes:



Okay, finally the reason I went here...I heard there were thousands of tundra swans...unfortunately they were too far off to even see, let alone take a picture of.  Except the two that flew directly overhead.



I did see a few flocks of them flying, but I was driving.  Same goes for the lone eagle I saw.  Supposedly as winter sets in, they nest around here.  Yea!

P.S.  Don't tell Mark how dirty I got his car...half the trip was on a muddy road...


No comments:

Post a Comment